We're here to answer any questions you might have about the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions, but if you have a question that is not answered below, please let us know. Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-227-2345.
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is the American Cancer Society's premier event to raise funds and awareness to save lives from breast cancer. More than 200 Making Strides walks nationwide each year celebrate people who have battled breast cancer, educate people about ways to reduce their risk, and empower communities to join the fight. The noncompetitive walks range in distance from 3 to 5 miles. The money raised through the Making Strides walks helps the American Cancer Society create a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays.
Anyone can participate in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer events. From corporate CEO's to school children, the success of the Making Strides walks depend on individuals who commit to raising money, the people who donate to them, and our generous sponsors. Friends, families, neighbors, classmates, sports teams, etc., can form their own teams and walk as a group. Organizations or businesses can also sponsor teams of walkers. Or, you are free to walk as an individual.
We also need volunteers to help at the event with registration, water stations, information, and many other important functions. Making Strides events offer something for everyone. Participants in wheelchairs should contact their local American Cancer Society office prior to the event for additional information.
There are numerous ways to help create a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays. You can:
- Walk in a Making Strides event and raise donations from family, friends, and coworkers. The online fundraising tool at your event Web site makes raising donations easy.
- Be a team leader and gather a group of any size to walk with you and help raise money to fight breast cancer. Contact your local American Cancer Society office for a team leader kit.
- Double your fundraising dollars through a matching gifts program. Ask your personnel or human resources department for more details.
- Sponsor a Making Strides walker with a generous, tax-deductible contribution.
- Help at the event by donating your time and talent.
- Help people facing breast cancer get well by volunteering with the Society's many breast cancer programs in your community, including a program that connects recently diagnosed women with women who have survived the disease and "been there" (Reach To Recovery´┐?), and a collaborative program that helps patients cope with appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment (Look Good...Feel Better´┐?).
- Fight back by becoming a grassroots advocate to ensure all women have access to mammograms and treatment, regardless of their income. Learn how you can take action at acscan.org/makingstrides.
- Help people - and yourself - stay well by learning and following the American Cancer Society's breast cancer early detection guidelines at
- Sign up for a yearly email mammogram reminder at cancer.org/MammogramReminder.
Since 1993, nearly 7 million walkers across the United States have raised more than $400 million to help fight breast cancer through Making Strides events. In 2010, nearly 800,000 walkers across the country raised $60 million to help fight this disease.
Funds you raise through the Making Strides event help the American Cancer Society save lives and create a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays by:
- Helping people stay well by educating and empowering women to live healthy lives and reduce their risk for breast cancer, and to get screening tests such as mammograms to find breast cancer early, when it is easiest to treat
- Helping people facing breast cancer get well by providing information, day-to-day help, and emotional support to guide them through every step of their breast cancer experience
- Finding cures by investing in and conducting research that leads to groundbreaking discoveries into breast cancers causes and cures
- Fighting back by working with legislators to support laws that help women battle breast cancer and help all women get access to screenings and care
For more details, please visit How Your Dollars Make a Difference.
The American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk does not have a registration fee and there is no minimum amount to raise to participate. The walk does raise much-needed funds to help the American Cancer Society save lives and fight breast cancer, but it also creates awareness about the disease and provides lifesaving prevention and early detection information. We encourage people who can't make a donation or who aren't able to request it of others to come out and show their support by walking in their local event.